Be the UNITY in Your CommUNITY
We believe that small sacrifices, when made by many can have a big impact on a community. When people UNITE anything is possible.
To raise $200,000 across four geographical areas ($50,000 for each area) through education, awareness and small donations. This money will be used to create back-to-school kits for underprivileged youths in the Washoe County, NV, Treasure Valley, ID, Sacramento, CA and Central Valley, CA areas.
Our Fundraising Plan:
- Be the Unity in your Community will run from April 15, 2012 through July 15, 2012
- We have set up a donation platform through our website, Itsmycommunitystore.com and social media platforms. Donations will be $5, $10, $25, or other. If you would like to donate by check please send directly to It’s My Community Store or ifoster and note that it is for the Unity Campaign.
- All of the money raised (minus credit card processing fees) will be used to create back-to-school supply kits for vulnerable children in the respective areas. For example, if the Treasure Valley area raises $50,000 they will receive the retail value of $50,000 in school supplies. If Northern Nevada raises $70,000 they will receive the retail value of $70,000 in school supplies.
- The school supplies will be purchased from It’s My Community Store. It’s My Community Store will build relevant age appropriate back-to-school kits with supplies that are recommended by the local school districts. These kits will be delivered to iFoster and the appropriate schools and agencies in August 2012. iFoster will work with the agencies and schools in each area to assure proper delivery to the children.
- It’s My Community Store will be donating an additional 10 percent of the total amount raised to the area that raises the most funds. This donation will be used to build additional school kits for that area.
About Our Partner:
iFoster helps raise our most vulnerable children. Their programs provide life changing resources for at-risk youth, helping guide them to becoming independent successful adults.
iFoster’s community supports over 1,000, 000 children across 50 states. Members include thousands of formal and informal foster care families, low income families, emancipated youth along with other nonprofits and government departments in 26 states.
Over 4,000,000 children are being raised outside of their biological homes. More than 800,000 a year are removed from their homes due to abuse, violence or neglect and are placed in formal foster care. The foster care system is under-funded and stretched beyond capacity. An additional 3,000,000 live outside of formal foster care with relatives, often with little support.
We believe that a simple back-to-school kit can be the start of a successful academic year for these children.
The outcome for these children is dismal:
- 46% drop out of high school or fail to get GED by 19
- 50% will become homeless
- 50% will be unemployed
- 25% will be incarcerated
- 3% will earn their bachelor’s degree